Pages

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Walnuts Apple Pie with Oat Pie Crust

I love sweets, and warm apple pie. Before thanksgiving I was looking online for apple pie recipes. They all looked so good and it made me crave it even more. The only problem was the high calorie, fat, sugar, and crabs they had. I started searching again to find a healthier recipe for apple pie to take ideas from. I came across an awesome recipe from the Sugar Free Mom. I decided to make a gluten free crust instead of the whole wheat crust.
Let me tell you, my oat crust was so good. I even ate apple pie for breakfast the next day, oats and apples (sounds like a healthy breakfast to me :) ).




Oat Flour Crust:

2 cup 1/2 gluten free oat four (I used Bobs Red Mill)
8 1/2 tbsp cold water
4 tbsp coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
small pinch of salt ( don't add more since oats tend to be salty)

 In a bowl, stir together all ingredients. Pat dough into a sprayed pie plate. Press pastry between fingers to make an edge.

Apple Pie Filling:

6 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced thin
1 small lime juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp oat flour
2 tbsp honey (or more if desired)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 egg white (omit for a vegan pie)


Pour juice of one lime over sliced apples and toss. Toss over cinnamon, and nutmeg, mix well. In a sauce pan, take 2/3 of the apples and cook over medium heat until tender, it takes about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the rest of the sliced apples. Add the oat flour to the apples and stir to combine. Let it cool for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Add apples into prepared bottom pie crust, then cover apples with chopped walnuts and prush with egg whites. Bake 40 minutes or until browned. Pour the honey on top while it’s still worm. Let rest 20 minutes before slicing.

The pie smelled so good to the point I was not able to hold of people to take more pictures. 



I hope you try it an enjoy this healthy sugar free apple pie. xoxo Rosene

    No comments:

    Post a Comment